Monday, July 26, 2010

Trusting the Stingray guide more than God????

Proverbs 3:5&6 has always been a "staple" in my spiritual food pantry. It says to trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. Hmmmm, so all I have to do is "trust God with all my heart" and I get direction? I'm to listen for God's voice everywhere I go and in everything I do? I'm not SUPPOSED to figure everything out? Whew! Ok, sounds good to me. What a relief that I'm not required to figure things out or lean on my own intellect or understanding of life! I'm just to run TO God and run FROM evil. So then why does this seem to be so difficult to do for us as children of the almighty GOD?!
Last month my husband and I went on a cruise and had the opportunity to go swimming with the stingrays. When planning our excursion, I read through what we would experience and the idea of swimming with stingrays seemed exciting and daring. So, why not?
After an exhilarating boat ride to the reef area where the stingrays were found, I slipped into the reality of what I was about to do. "What are you doing? A man just died from a sting in the heart from one of these creatures? Are you crazy?" Fear began to grip my heart but IMMEDIATELY a peaceful calm came over me as I remembered that "these guides do this all of the time. Many, many people come out here and do this everyday. They are used to people. The guides will protect me. They've gone before me. They won't let me down. They wouldn't do this if it REALLY were dangerous."
How quickly I was to shift gears and trust a man, a stranger, some guide that I'd never met, in a foreign land, in the middle of an ocean, with a creature that I'd never even seen before....WHO CAN KILL IN AN INSTANT!
I think you get what I'm saying. How quickly we are to cast away our confidence in the One who loves us, created us, saves us, forgives us, covers us, leads and guides us, redeems us, restores us and I could go on and on. How is it that I was able to completely and confidently trust my stingray guide more or easier than my Father God?!
Wow, I've been taught a lesson. In the same manner I trusted a man, all the more should I trust my Father.
I love Proverbs 3:5-9 in the Message translation...

5-12
Trust God from the
bottom of your heart;

don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.
Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
your wine vats will brim over.

I've learned that "trust" is easily given up in tough situations. It seems to be the first thing to go when in a trying time. Realize that your "Guide" in life is over qualified. He's done this before, He's been there before-it's not a new place for Him. He knows what you're going through, nothing is taking HIM by surprise. There's no "special case" that He can't handle. God's possible is always bigger than my impossibles. It takes a humble heart to realize that when you put your trust in other people, yourself, or anything other than God, everything and everyone will let you down. HE is the only one Who is worthy to be trusted.
Andrae Crouch wrote a beautiful song years ago called, "Through it all" and I can sometimes hear the words in my heart say, "through it all, through it all, I've LEARNED TO TRUST IN JESUS, I'VE LEARNED TO TRUST IN GOD."
Trusting is a learning process. Sometimes we learn the hard way but I'm determined to keep my trust where it needs to be...in my Guide for Life, my Father God.





2 comments:

  1. Amen! Trusting in God With ALL my heart...there's no room to trust anyone or anything else when ALL my heart is consumed with Trust in God...thank you for the unction to write and to remind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to tie in trusting in God with your recent experience! This really gives me something to chew on...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete